Thursday, May 12, 2016

May 12th Awareness Day



Today is May 12th, Invisible Illness Awareness Day / M.E. Awareness Day / Fibromyalgia Awareness Day. I would like to share Hanlon's Razor:
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
I'm not saying there has never been foul play in the history of how these conditions are viewed/treated, but I do think ignorance and misinformation (and biomedical limitations for testing biomarkers) are the primary drivers. That's why awareness days are important. 

For fibromyalgia, I made a short video that attempts to shed a little light on the nature of invisible pain. It didn't quite go as I'd liked, but I guess I can always burn myself on camera again, in a more grisly fashion, hah, heh, ergh. 

Oh, any ideas for things traditionally considered painful that don't do lasting damage? Leave suggestions in the comments please!

Pairs well with my post on nociceptors and cytokines:



I've heard it put forth that Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers had MECFS for a few years. So, via some kind of logic (or lack thereof) here's a RHCP cover:


Over the years of feeling ill, songwriting was an outlet that helped keep me sane. I particularly like finding slant-rhymes for tricky words like 'orange' and 'chrysanthemums'. Digital art is also fun:


Combine all that with digging through hundreds of medical studies, and the existential crisis that occurs after years of being sick and maligned, and yarr: a song about science and religion teaming up to fight disease



Best of luck on your road to recovery. Or, if you're not ill, please be understanding towards those who are.

Sean @ LavenderDojo


No comments:

Post a Comment